Mariage d’Amour — The Story

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoCG-WNsZio[/embedyt]
Story

Some day in Novem­ber last year I was at my job lis­ten­ing to some clas­si­cal music while work­ing. YouTube’s auto­play decided what I should hear… Sud­denly some melody that I never heard before appeared, it was awe­some. I opened my browser to see that this was the so called Spring Waltz by Frédéric Chopin.

Spring Waltz… really?

I was pretty con­fused. The fact that I haven’t heard about it while it was a piece by Chopin seemed unlikely — and it was­n’t even a waltz. I later found out that the cred­its to Chopin was a huge mis­take — the real piece was writ­ten by Paul de Sen­neville and the exact ver­sion was arranged by George David­son. Read more out about this very wide­spread mis­un­der­stand­ing in my post “Did Chopin ever write a Spring Waltz?”.

I was in no doubt that this was a piece I should play since it fits per­fect with my genre and play­ing style. Now it’s one of my most pop­u­lar videos — thanks! Lis­ten to my per­for­mance in the player above.

Jacob

24 Comments

1. Steve Nash June 16, 2017 at 7:24 am - Reply

An amaz­ing and so beau­ti­ful piece you play so very well! Thank you!

2. vimeotube July 14, 2017 at 9:17 pm - Reply

I’m really enjoy­ing the theme/​design of your site. Do you
    ever run into any web browser com­pat­i­bil­ity issues? A small num­ber of my blog vis­i­tors have com­plained about my web­site not oper­at­ing cor­rectly in Explorer
    but looks great in Fire­fox. Do you have any ideas to help fix
    this issue?

• Jacob's Piano July 20, 2017 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Hi! Well, I actu­ally have very lit­tle expe­ri­ence with this so I can’t help you with your issues. I’m using word­press here and have learned myself the basics to set up this page. I’m not aware of any com­pat­i­bil­ity issues but I have also only tried to load the page in chrome and safari…

3. O July 18, 2017 at 3:42 am - Reply

Oh my gosh! I’m at a loss for words, beau­ti­ful, beyond descrip­tion, You play it so beau­ti­fully, thank you for shar­ing.

4. Tatiana August 20, 2017 at 6:58 pm - Reply

Jacob, I’m very grate­ful to you for the won­der­ful melody that you per­formed, I’m just happy, I hear this music …

5. Melina November 25, 2017 at 10:17 am - Reply

Hello, I love your inter­pre­ta­tion. I would like to buy the score. How can I do ?

6. fulya January 6, 2018 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Hello Jacob, I love your inter­pre­ta­tion. I have been lis­tened for many times and really I love it. I am play­ing piano and I want to play this melody. I want your notes that you played.Can you share with me ?

7. Joy January 13, 2018 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Beau­ti­ful! My story is sim­i­lar to yours about the YouTube mixup. Ever since I heard it though, I have been look­ing for the exact arrange­ment. Thank you so much for post­ing the link!

8. Linda January 17, 2018 at 4:13 am - Reply

I dream of one day I can see you play in person…well only a dream. Love how you play it…some how I can feel the fin­gers are “speak­ing” to me… I for­ward your YouTube to my brother, he loves it too. We both played piano when we were young , but not as good as you. :)

9. Anita March 11, 2018 at 3:33 am - Reply

you are incred­i­ble! I recently started play­ing piano and am in awe of your skills! very inspi­ra­tional, touch­ing and soul mov­ing! loved it!

10. Dee July 12, 2018 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Hello. This is an amaz­ing piece that you have inter­preted so beau­ti­fully! Being able to down­load the piece is nice but I would like to buy the offi­cial score (which I need to play this piece at com­pe­ti­tions). I am at a loss to find an offi­cial ver­sion. Can you please help me?

11. oveja August 13, 2018 at 4:50 am - Reply

estoy llo­rando como una nena

12. Joyce December 29, 2018 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Beau­ti­ful! I’m a beginner…searching for new pieces to learn… also would like to pur­chase the sheet music (your ver­sion). I’m new to your site so maybe it is in here some­where? I’m also look­ing for “Let­ter” that Siri says you play.

13. Radmila La Costa January 27, 2019 at 3:24 am - Reply

Ah.…

14. Junea March 6, 2019 at 2:40 am - Reply

Is there a story behind the orig­i­nal piece writ­ten by Paul de Sen­neville? I can’t fig­ure out why this melody res­onates so much with me

15. Suze March 11, 2019 at 12:16 am - Reply

Jacob, I lis­ten to many dif­fer­ent gen­res in YouTube music videos and some how the auto rec­om­men­da­tion came up about your music style. I was com­pletely moved by the incred­i­ble and touch­ing music I heard you are very tal­ented and must be a pro­fes­sional musi­cian. I do not play the piano but have always loved the music and wanted to let you know how grate­ful I am to have found your chan­nel, because the tears of joy stream­ing down my face say more than the words I can express. I will be lis­ten­ing every­day to the awe inspir­ing music you play and hope you con­tinue to share with the world. If you con­sider sug­ges­tions I would love to hear you play Beethoven’s Moon­light Sonata one of my all time favorites.

Wish­ing you much suc­cess in your career endeav­ors.

Suze

• Sumana April 6, 2019 at 11:34 pm - Reply

He has played it already in his other chan­nel named ‘Jacob’s Clas­si­cal Tuto­r­ial’.

• Sumana April 6, 2019 at 11:38 pm - Reply

Sorry..typo :P ..I mean it is already there in his other chan­nel ‘Jacob’s Clas­si­cal Tuto­r­ial’. :)

• Lolika June 2, 2019 at 11:05 am - Reply

Hallo, ich habe die klavier­noten in PDF gesucht zu deiner Ver­sion, lei­der findet man im Inter­net nur die Ver­sion von r. Cly­der­man, eine erbe Ent­täuschung zu der Ver­sion hier! Kön­ntest du deine Ver­sion veröf­fentlichen? Oder einen Link schicken, wo man diese Ver­sion erhält? Vie­len Dank!!

16. Sumana April 11, 2019 at 11:13 pm - Reply

Hello Jacob, this story is crazy! I was also intro­duced to Beethoven’s name some­what five years ago through a wrong song, i.e. ‘Love Story — Beethoven’ which has a good num­ber of views in YT. I don’t play piano or any other instru­ment , so I could­n’t instantly know that was not Beethoven’s style of music, just like u knew in case of Chopin’s Spring Waltz. :) That song is one of my most favourite piano pieces ever & I used to think that’s Beethoven! Only last year I came to know that is writ­ten by Fran­cis Lai through a cover of that piece by ‘2 Cel­los’! There is another one also as ‘Beethoven Silence’ in YT.
    P.S. : Even I heard your ‘A Sim­ple Melody’ in another video in YT with the name Snow in the Sea & no men­tion of your name in descrip­tion of that video. :P I don’t know if you noticed that or not! I won­der how does YT’s copy­right thing work? Does it work at all or not?

17. Michele May 30, 2019 at 8:10 pm - Reply

Jacob my Dear Friend. I just want to say one thing: I am totally addicted to this piece you play so well. I lis­ten to it all the time and it makes me feels so good, again thank you

18. Walston Joseph June 6, 2019 at 12:38 am - Reply

I recently became aware of this piece of music after watch­ing a movie enti­tled Spring Waltz with excerpts of the music being played. Then later I learned that the name is really Mariage d’Amour by Paul de Sen­nville and fea­tured by your ren­di­tion on YouTube. Most enjoy­able. I can­not resist play­ing it repeat­edly. Thank you.

19. Jean-claude June 30, 2019 at 10:13 pm - Reply

Salut , Jacob je suis très impres­sionné par ton tal­ent, j’aimerais savoir sur quel instru­ment joue tu sur ses belles mélodie merci (j’en suis fan)