This post is not up to date and I will update it soon.

My setup

Below you can see my little setup consisting of a Roland RD-800 keyboard, an Avid Mbox audio-interface and a powerful computer. This is basically what you need to start making some piano recordings - and you don't have to throw away all your money on expensive stuff like I have been stupid enough to do ;)

My home studio from 2016 to 2021.

Audio - The Piano

When producing the audio there are generally two approaches. The audio can be produced directly on the computer using MIDI along with a software piano (VST) or the actual sound of the keyboard can be recorded. I always produce using MIDI and this is the method I highly recommend. In order to do that I connect my keyboard to my computer using an audio-interface. In Logic Pro X I record the MIDI file and then I produce the sound with software instruments.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about and what MIDI is then I suggest you read this article - "What is MIDI?". Further, you can read this note about software instruments.

I use the software pianos from Synthogy called IVORY II. More specifically I use the American Concert D (Steinway), Italian Grand (Fazioli) and the three other grand pianos in Synthogy's grand piano package.

The pianos mentioned above sounds beautifully alone, however, I add external reverb to get an even richer sound. Here I use the PCM Reverb bundle from Lexicon which is great. This really affects the sound more than you would believe.

I also use equalizer and other processing tools in order to improve the overall sound quality. I do not have any other experience in the production of music than my works on YT but I feel that I have already learned a lot and keeps getting better.

Audio - Backing tracks

I often use backing tracks for my pieces (primarily strings). I have a lot of software instruments but I primarily use a VST called Cinematic Strings and sometimes also the Emotional Cello from Harmonic Subtones. After the recording of the piano track I produce the strings track and add it to the final mix.

Video

The video production is simple. I have a Canon EOS 550D camera (hoping to upgrade soon) with a 50-200mm Canon lens. I place my keyboard in the middle of my room and add some light sources - voila! While recording the video I record the MIDI file in Logic. Then I edit the audio and add it to the video file afterwards. I edit the video in Final Cut Pro.

author-avatar

About Jacob's Piano

I am Jacob Ladegaard also known as Jacob's Piano. I am a pianist and composer located in Copenhagen, Denmark. On this site I invite you in to my musical world. You can purchase sheet music or MIDI files for my original work or find the help you are looking for in my blog posts.

38 thoughts on “How I make my videos…

1. KAUSHIK says:

Thank you Jacob. One other question if you don’t mind. A lot of the tunes do not have easily available sheet music made available by the original composer or an arranger.. Do you figure out the notes by ear and create your own score?

1. Jacob's Piano says:

What I usually do is that perform the original composition (if the original is a solo piano composition), then sheet music is usually easily accesible. If it’s a larger orchestral arrangement then I usually arrange the piano score myself. The arrangements for sale on musicnotes (https://www.musicnotes.com/sheet-music/artist/jacobs-piano) are my own arrangements.

2. Kaushik says:

Hello Jacob,
    Wonderful channel! I have one question. If you are sending MIDI directly from your piano to the computer, then you dont need an audio interface,correct?

1. Jacob's Piano says:

Hi Kaushik. No generally you can do that with a USB-cable. Until recently I have used an audio interface (because I used the interface for other purposes), but now I just connect my keyboard and computer using USB. But off course you have to check that your keyboard has a USB output :)

3. thanos says:

hi, here you have a huge fan.

just wanted to ask you 2 questions:

1) how in the world can you pass your MIDI file though a audio interface? i though you could only do that thought an USB

2) how do you make your image quality to look so professional? do you darken your videos or somethign?

1. Jacob's Piano says:

Hi Thanos. Thanks for your message. That’s exactly what you can do with an audio interface – you can connect any MIDI device to your audio interface and then connect your audio interface to your computer. Regarding my image quality I record with a good camera, but I do a lot of color editing afterwards (in Final Cut Pro) to make it look good :) Cheers, Jacob

4. NOURA HAYNOUSSI says:

Hi Jacob

I would love to buy a piano to produce my own songs.
    The sound of yours is great, therefore I would like to know which one do you have.

5. Michelle says:

Hi Jacob

I would love to buy a piano to produce my own songs.

KR from Switzerland :)