Why should it take me so long to come up with a piano cover of the Game of Thrones Main Title?
Two failed attempts
First of all, I don’t find this composition to be very piano friendly — it’s kind of meant for strings. I started working on the arrangement for the first time two years ago. Unfortunately I had to realize that my arranging skills were insufficient at the time so I paused the project for a while. I did upload this simple synthesia tutorial, but it was hoping to make something a bit more complex than that. Then, last year I was very keen on getting an epic arrangement ready for the 6th season. I got very far with it but gave up once again since (after listening to the thing for too long) I simply didn’t think it worked well enough.
A month ago I decided that this should be the year where I contributed to the catalog of Game of Thrones piano covers on YouTube. I started arranging from scratch and things seemed to work better now. I have gained experience over time and my arranging skills have improved. However, the arrangement is very basic only containing the few melodic movements that we all know and with very few fills and variations. I’m not really able to arrange advanced version like the ones from Jarrod Radnich or PlayerPiano but I’m not sure I would make it so advanced anyway. I think this piece should have some simplicity to it.
I hope you like the arrangement I came up with (and my performance of it). You can find the arrangement on musicnotes.com — click here. /Jacob