About the Spring Waltz

According to YouTube the second most popular piece composed by famous polish composer Frédéric Chopin (1810-1849) is his so-called Spring Waltz.

But... did Chopin really write a Spring Waltz? Well... no, Frédéric Chopin composed numerous waltzes but the Spring Waltz was not one of them. The actual piece playing in all of these videos is Mariage d'Amour composed by french composer Paul de Senneville in 1987. Furthermore it doesn't alleviate the confusion that this piece exists in two versions: the original version which is performed by Richard Clayderman and a rearranged version performed by George Davidson. The "Spring Waltz" is the George Davidson version. Listen to the piece below.

It's not even a waltz!

The first thing you may notice when you hear the piece is that it's not even a waltz. It's written in 4/4 and a waltz is written in 3/4. If you are a regular listener of classical music this will probably also stand out for you as something written in present time. Classical music is often far more complex. So why this confusion? Well, I personally believe it was a popular YouTube upload titled "Chopin - Spring Waltz" which caused the whole thing (but I can't know for sure). The video has now been removed (and replaced by others) but I think it reached around 25M views - that exact video even fooled me! :(

Does a Spring Waltz exist?

How the uploader even came up with the title is mysterious since I can't find a single piece called Spring Waltz - the title doesn't even seem to exist anywhere except for a Japanese TV show which, I guess, doesn't have too much to do with Chopin. If you've heard about an actual piece called Spring Waltz let me know in the comment section.

I hope I was able to clear up the confusion about this piece. Unfortunately, I think the power of social media will make it hard to erase this mistake whatsoever. Remember, this is a beautiful piece which deserves to be credited appropriately.

author-avatar

About Jacob's Piano

I am Jacob Ladegaard also known as Jacob's Piano. I am a pianist and composer located in Copenhagen, Denmark. On this site I invite you in to my musical world. You can purchase sheet music or MIDI files for my original work or find the help you are looking for in my blog posts.

27 thoughts on “Did Chopin ever write a Spring Waltz?

1. This really answered my drawback, thanks!

2. Daniel says:

Biutiful

3. Jacob says:

Sorry if this is dumb question.
    If I wanted to use this piece in a movie, who owns the copyrights for this then ?

1. Jacob's Piano says:

Hi! It’s not a dumb question. Honestly, I can even give you a very good answer to that, but here’s what I know:

I own the rights to the “sound recording” of this particular version. But since it’s a cover the rights to “musical composition” does not belong to me. Normally if you want to use a sound recording in a movie then you need a synchronization license (or just permission from the owner – this is quite hard if the owner is for example Universal Music). I don’t know how to obtain that, but for popular music it should be quite easy.
      BUT when it comes to my version of the song I’m not sure you can obtain a sync license for it (I think I need to register the recording somewhere which I haven’t) and I don’t know if my direct permission is enough now that I don’t own the “musical composition” part of the copyright… So my honest answer to your question is that I don’t really know how you can legally use my version. Maybe you can just use it with my permission but I’m not sure :)

2. Manuel says:

We just had the question on a company quiz who the composer of this beautiful piece is. I stumbled over this article by accident as the music really touches me. Thanks for the article and your version :).

4. From my perspective, remembering the name of the song and its composer is to show respect to that composer.

1. Ophelia P says:

100% agree

5. O says:

Please share info on the sheet music you used. You are a beautiful soul, it reflects in the way you play it. Thanks for sharing